cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message Notification

jonathoncmoore
Level 1
Level 1

We are attempting to use message notification to a cell phone with no success. I have checked the various pieces mentioned in other posts about message notification (i.e. Unity ports set to allow message notification, Call Manager Uone ports in the proper Calling Search Space, notification is configured, enabled, and set to notify even if not urgent, subscriber mailbox time zone is set specifically and not to Default, notification schedule is correct, tried using a comma after the number to get timing between Unity and Call Manager right, tried the dialing option to "Try to detect connection") to no avail. <br><br>If I set a subscriber's transfer settings to transfer calls from within Unity to the cell phone, the call goes through, but not when set for message notification.<br><br>Our Unity version is 2.4.6.135, CCM version 3.0(11), and TSP version is 1.0.0.36 (in Winnt\System32). Unity is on Windows 2000. <br><br>One thing I find strange is that I never see the calls from Unity going out to the cell phone through the Call Viewer, even when it was properly routed by the call transfer settings. Is that normal?<br><br>Please help! Thanks in advance<br><br>Jonathon Moore<br>Ultra-Newbie<br>Red Capital Group<br>jcmoore@redcapitalgroup.com

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

Sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting to isolate the problem. Have you checked the restriction tables to make sure that dialouts are not restricted? Any differences between default transfer and default outdial? Does MWI work normally? Does the subscriber have any mailbox settings that might mark the message as read or move it to a personal folder?

You can also run the Exchange Optimizer to make sure Unity isn't running out of MAPI resources.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Yes, we have checked the Restriction Tables (Forgot to mention that in my previous post) and everything looks fine there. The mailbox is a new box and has not had any rules set within the email client; I have added the mailbox to my own Outlook and can verify that the voice messages are arriving there. MWI is also working for the associated phone.

We have been able to get it working on one of our ports. It appears as if notification only works if we set only port 1 to allow message notification in the Ports screen within Unity. Is this a known issue? We have checked the settings for our other ports (Calling Search Space, etc.) and they seem fine. The couple differences are that port 1's extension starts with "71", a DID number, and the others start with "70", non-DID numbers. These non-DID ports are used as roll-overs if the primary port is busy. But we have other non-DID numbers in our system that can dial out without a problem.

Even though we have it working, we'd prefer to be able to send such notifications through more than one port in case there is heavy traffic in the Unity system - this mailbox is for our Help Desk, which needs to provide rapid response to our users after-hours.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Jonathon Moore
Ultra-Newbie
Red Capital Group
jcmoore@redcapitalgroup.com

We'll have to see if attempts are being made on ports other than port 1 and are failing or if attempts aren't even being made on the other ports. The callviewer won't be any good for that. It'll only show incoming calls. Use the Status Monitor instead. Does that show that an attempt is being made?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Using Status Monitor I see the notification being sent out Port 1 successfully. When I change the port settings to try and force Unity to use one of the other 7 ports, I don't see any activity for the notification. It doesn't seem to be trying to use the other ports at all. As far as I know, the only place I need to make the change to use the other ports is on the Port configuration screen in Unity. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Jonathon Moore
Ultra-Newbie
Red Capital Group

It doesn't sound like you are missing anything. Is the Unity doing dual-switch configuration or is the security key set for an integration type of "Multiple"?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

I'm sorry, but you've lost me there. I see in our Unity settings under IP Switch where our Active Switch Type is set to "Integration: TAPI" - is that the setting to which you are referring? If so, does that answer your question? Sorry I can't be of more help. Thanks.

Jonathon Moore
Ultra-Newbie
Red Capital Group

You can use the Key Dump utility in the Unity folder on the Start Menu to view your license settings. There should be an Integration option on the key... is this set to TAPI, Multiple Integrations, or something else?

On your Ports page in the SA, is there a section in the lower window where you can assign the ports to a specific phone system?

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: