cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cat-5 and cat-6

amz
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 servers and 50 clients. I need my servers to communicate with each other at Giga Speed. The cables on client side are cat-5e. If i purchase 3560 switch with 48 10/100 with 4-SFP ports, will it meet my requirements for the servers too?

Thankx!

13 Replies 13

ankurjain05
Level 1
Level 1

I think you would be connecting all your servers to this 3560 switch.

If yes, than all your 48 ports are 10/100, so your servers would be connected at 100 mpbs only in that case.

You won't be able to connect your servers to SFP ports with your Cat-5e cable as Cat-5e cable comes with RJ-45 connector and SFP ports require different connector.

So in this case you need to ugrade your switch whose ports offer your speed of 10/100/1000.

adnan.zafar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You want to connect your servers on giga but problem is that SFP Ports only have LC connectors ( It meant SFP is made for fiber connectivity). So either you purchase Fibre PCI cards then you will able to connect your Switch with Fibre connectivity........

Or you can purchase all giga switch or switch with 5 Gbic slots..

Or you can purchase another 8 Port All gigabit Switch and connect all your server on that switch ...

Hope this may helps you

Hi,

I think you need Option 1 or Option 2

Option 1

WS-C2960G-48TC-L (44 port 10/100/1000 and 4 dual-purpose uplinks)

Option 2

Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS (48 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports)

to meet your requirements depending on your budget.

I will recommend Option 2 but Option 1 should also be enough.

HTH

Shaheen

Hi

I presume that the number of ports you are referring is valid in current scenerio, but you do will require scalability....won't u?

I would recommend buying 1 3560G-24TS & 1 3560G-48TS. In that case, you will not require any SFP module as both the switches can be connected without them. With these, you will also have all 1000M ports with future scalability.

Regards

JD

Hi again

Basicall you want to connect only your Servers on Giga and remaining clients on 100 so either you purchase all giga port switch which is very costly or you can purchase 1 100Mbps and 1 1000Mbps ( only 8 port) switch which will cover your whole scenario

Many pplz said that you must buy giga switch for future enhancement but for all giga switch you network must be on giga ( means you must lay cat6 cables)

So if you laid cat6 cables then you must go for all giga switch or if you don't have cat6 cables then giga is worthless solution for you

B.Regards

Adnan Zafar

Reply for All

If i purchase WS-3560-48TS 48Port 10/100 switch and add a Gigabit Card for 4 10/100/1000 Ports.

What do you think all?

Thankx!

Hi

First of all you do not need CAT-6 cabling for 1G ports....even CAT-5e will work with a GIG switch which should be set to auto negotiation.Your 10/100 cards will auto negotiate with GIG ports.....

Secondary your ports requirements is 50+5 as you have mentioned, which makes them 55 in total. What you are going is a 48+4=52 ports...3 ports short of your requirement.

Moreover, you had mentioned 5 GIG ports, in this scenerio you will get only 4 Gig ports.

Pls be static on your requirement which will help us to help you better.

Regards

JD

i am puchasing 2 switches not 1 because i will have more users soon.

Hi

Thats a good idea. Also pls share with us the models you will be going with.....

PS : pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Hi

so thats mean you are going to do what i wrote.

If you think i was right then rate it..

sorry i am not going to do what you wrote rather i had already decided to purchase 2 before i joined this forum.

Ok so you were trying to check members skills.Nice mate very nice

any way

Take Care..

i was not trying to check anything because i am not capable of checking other's skills. I just needed recommendation for a switch. I don't know how do you think but i have been very straight forward to explain what i need.

Thankx!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco