AP 1200 Series problems/questions

Unanswered Question
Jan 31st, 2007

We are a Facilities Department for a University and decided to implement 3 AP (1200 Series, 12.3(8)JA2 IOS, 802.11G Upgrades). The first problem is that I wanted to use DHCP for a least one of these radios. Our OTS makes it difficult to get staic IPs at times. We need to "register" the MACs of everything. With a computer, it is easy since you are directed to a web page. With an AP or printer, you need to call and register manually. The ethernet and radio MACS are both registered, yet we can not get a IP via DHCP. Is there a setting we need to do this by CLI?

Also, we have 3 APs (1 on each floor). We do this to provide redundancy and coverage. It is an old thick-bricked building. All the radios are set up as APs (not repeaters, etc.), on channel 6. Is this the best topology? Should I have some set as repeaters?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
SHANNON WYATT Thu, 02/01/2007 - 11:04

Hmmm, on the issue of the IP addresses, it sounds like you are using CNAC or the like. You will need to register the MAC address of the ethernet. You shouldn't need the radio interfaces though. Could it be that BPDU guard is enabled on the switches and this is shutting the ports down? The APs need to be configured on the switch similar to a switch.

If you have network drops to each floor it wouldn't make sense setting any of them up as repeaters. With 3 APs you would want to setup one on channel 1, one on Channel 6 and one on Channel 11.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode