Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT translation

I have a Cisco 1811 router that will be terminating an ISP connection. There will be no VPN tunnel configured. Is it possible to configure one static NAT translation that will be plugged into the switch ports on the 1811 and the other devices plugged in here to not be NAT'd? Basically, I am wondering if when you configure one static NAT translation that the other hosts need to be NAT'd or can they remain completely separate?

4 Replies 4

jcrussell
Level 3
Level 3

They can remain separate. You can define a static NAT for something like a mail or web server. Then you can have everything else NAT from a pool or use PAT.

Is it possible for the other hosts to not be NAT's at all? I guess the question is if you configure a static translation, does this enable NAT globally or can you still leave other hosts as they are and not NAT them? Thanks for the response.

You should be able to leave them with their original addresses. Of course, they will need to use public addresses if they want to connect to the internet.

Ok. That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks again for your responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card