cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking calls with no Caller ID

bgraham
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a school District and we have run into a few situations when we have received a bomb threat from a "Unknown Caller" Our administration wants to find out if there is a way to block calls with no Caller ID or possibly redirect them to a specified extension to play an outgoing message.

Any Thoughts?

Bob

6 Replies 6

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

Caller-ID blocking does not apply to PSTN calls that are made through FXO ports. Caller-ID features on FXO-connected subscriber lines are under the control of your PSTN service provider, who may require that you subscribe to their caller-ID blocking service and enter specific DTMF digit codes to enable or disable caller-ID blocking for calls made on their PSTN subscriber line.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. ephone-dn dn-tag

2. caller-id block

3. exit

I forgot to mention that we are using T1 PRIs for our system and we are runing CCM 4.1(3). Would that make a difference?

Thanks,

Bob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bob,

I don't mean to swerve off-line here but I would think that you would want to know about any "Bomb Threat" hoax or real. How do you know what it is until it has be checked out by the proper authorities? My advice would be to look into the following CCM Feature;

Malicious Call Identification (MCID), an internetwork service, allows users to initiate a sequence of events when they receive calls with a malicious intent. The user who receives a disturbing call can invoke the MCID feature by using a softkey or feature code while connected to the call. The MCID service immediately flags the call as a malicious call with an alarm notification to the Cisco CallManager administrator. The MCID service flags the call detail record (CDR) with the MCID notice and sends a notification to the off-net PSTN that a malicious call is in progress.

The MCID feature provides a useful method for tracking troublesome or threatening calls. When a user receives this type of call, the Cisco CallManager system administrator can assign a new softkey template that adds the Malicious Call softkey to the user's phone. For POTS phones that are connected to a SCCP gateway, users can use a hookflash and enter a feature code of *39 to invoke the MCID feature.

When the MCID feature is used, the following actions take place:

1. The user receives a threatening call and presses the Malicious Call softkey (or enters the feature code *39).

2. Cisco CallManager sends the user a confirmation tone if the device can play a tone and a text message on a phone that has a display to acknowledge receiving the MCID notification.

3. Cisco CallManager updates the CDR for the call with an indication that the call is registered as a malicious call.

4. Cisco CallManager generates the alarm and event log entry that has the event information.

5. Cisco CallManager sends a MCID invocation through the facility message to the connected network. The facility information element (IE) encodes the MCID invocation.

6. After receiving this notification, the PSTN or other connected network can take actions, such as providing legal authorities with the call information.

From this CCM 4.1.3 doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803f3a3a.html

Better safe than sorry! Just my two cents.

Rob

Hi Rob,

You are preaching to the choir. I also believe every bomb threat should be treated seriously and investigated.

The blocking of calls without caller ID was asked by the administration (which I discouraged, but I told them I would check it out).

I have MCID set up now. The only problem I have is talking to someone at AT&T that knows what I mean when I ask if they support MCID-O or MCID-T events. At least I have a record of the call in the event viewer that I can give to the police for further investgation.

I am also checking to see if there is away to set up a "one button" Live Record with Unity.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Great work here! You have really taken the appropriate steps to ensure the Phone system participates in the overall security plan. Don't stop looking for the right person/group at AT&T that supports this config. I would suggest engaging AT&T Security to help you in this matter.

I am sorry if I came across as Preachy in my previous post :)

Take care and good luck!

Rob

Hi Bob,

Great work here! You have really taken the appropriate steps to ensure the Phone system participates in the overall security plan. Don't stop looking for the right person/group at AT&T that supports this config. I would suggest engaging AT&T Security to help you in this matter.

I did go through all the Forums and documentation to see if I could find any way to setup "Live Record" with one-button access (other people are looking for this as well) no such luck yet :(

I am sorry if I came across as Preachy in my previous post :)

Take care and good luck!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: