Replies

Static statement

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

A very basic question. I have a static route statement for eg

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 200.200.200.5

Now, let's say you have started to learn this network 10.10.10.0 through OSPF or BGP through a different Interface and your original connection to 200.200.200.5 is down.

Now if a customer is connected to this router wants to access 10.10.10.0/24. The first thing this router will do is use the Static route statement because of Administrative distance of 1. But connection is down. Would the router by-pass the static statement and still tell it's customer connected on it, I know how else to access it through OSPF or BGP. Or would we need to remove the static statement out of the router for 10.10.10.0/24.

My question is without removing the static route statement, can the router access the above network through OSPF or BGP. Let's say i do not want to remove this static route statement

Thanks,

Hassan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When the route via 200.200.200.5 is down the router would start using the next best route for 10.10.10.0/24. I am assuming 200.200.200.5 is a directly connected next-hop and when the interface through which that device is connected is down the router would purge all routes pointing to that next-hop IP address. The next best route, based on the longest prefix match and admin distance of protocol source, would be installed in the routing table in place of static route.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

When the route via 200.200.200.5 is down the router would start using the next best route for 10.10.10.0/24. I am assuming 200.200.200.5 is a directly connected next-hop and when the interface through which that device is connected is down the router would purge all routes pointing to that next-hop IP address. The next best route, based on the longest prefix match and admin distance of protocol source, would be installed in the routing table in place of static route.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card