cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks RME NetConfig AdHoc: CatOS versus IOS

s-daly
Level 1
Level 1

I need to deploy a configuration change to all my switches in my enterprise, some are running CatOS, some are IOS, and I even still have a few Cat2820 switches that are running Pre-CatOS. I want to make these changes using a NetConfig job in RME. In my scenario, it looks like I'll have to use the AdHoc method to accomplish the changes that I need.

Given that, it seems I need to make separate jobs for each of the different types of switches I have in my network. I'm fine with that, but I need to find a way to separate OS groups in NetConfig and I can't find a way to do this. Is there a way to do this? Is there a better way of going about what I'm trying to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's not a good way to do this unfortunately. You will have to create multiple jobs for the different categories. When it comes down to devices that can run either CatOS or CatIOS, you will have to pick specific devices.

Alternatvely, you might pursue using Baseline Compliance as a vector to introduce these changes. With Baseline, you have the ability to create prerequisites that will check for a command (e.g. "set system name") before deploying certain commands. By using prerequisites carefully, you can create one template that holds all of your configuration changes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's not a good way to do this unfortunately. You will have to create multiple jobs for the different categories. When it comes down to devices that can run either CatOS or CatIOS, you will have to pick specific devices.

Alternatvely, you might pursue using Baseline Compliance as a vector to introduce these changes. With Baseline, you have the ability to create prerequisites that will check for a command (e.g. "set system name") before deploying certain commands. By using prerequisites carefully, you can create one template that holds all of your configuration changes.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I create groups for IOS and CatOS in RME groups.

Based on the contents of Sys_Description I use this rule:

Device.Image.Sys_Description contains "Catalyst" EXCLUDE

Device.Image.Sys_Description contains "IOS"

So far it worked fine for me.

Cheers,

Michel

Well, if the Sys_Description was consistent over all the platforms, this probably would've worked. For me, it seems that when I want to separate out the switches with CatOS, this works fine, but if I want to separate out switches just running native IOS, it doesn't seem to work. For example, it the 6500's do not make mention they are a Catalyst platform or a switch in the Sys_Description, so it's almost impossible to separate them that way.

I admit that life would be good is cisco would be consistent.

But I think it always mentions that it is IOS when it is not Catos.

But the remaining exceptions can be pushed in the group manualy

Cheers,

Michel