cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Cef load-sharing query

jigsaw2026
Level 1
Level 1

I have a MLS with 2 links that advertise the default route. IP cef is enabled on a per-destination basis:

0.0.0.0/0, epoch 3, RIB, refcount 6, per-destination sharing

Why, then, when one of the links had a fault and was effecively down (not passing default traffic but still advertising the link), when I pinged a route that would take the default, e.g. 192.168.12.9, I got the following:

3750A#ping 192.168.12.9

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.12.9, timeout is 2 seconds:

!.!.!

This looks like per-packet sharing to me, or have I misunderstood?

Thanks, J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are seeing the difference between what IOS does for traffic being forwarded THROUGH the router and what IOS does with traffic generated BY the router. Traffic being forwarded through the router does perform per destination. But traffic being generated by the router (like your ping) will do per packet sharing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are seeing the difference between what IOS does for traffic being forwarded THROUGH the router and what IOS does with traffic generated BY the router. Traffic being forwarded through the router does perform per destination. But traffic being generated by the router (like your ping) will do per packet sharing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ah OK, I didn't realise that.

Thank you, J

Rick,

Would that be true for extended ping as well ?

Narayan

Narayan

Anything generated by the router itself (including extended ping) is process switched and will packet by packet load share.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card