Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA VPN configuration for Hub & Spoke using OSPF

laut
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I'm planning to deploy the ASA VPN solution for more than 10 remote sites. Three of them are considered HUB sites. I want to know how to build-up the connectivity between the Spokes terminated to different Hub sites, is that possible running OSPF instead of fully mesh VPN?

Thanks

Tony

17 Replies 17

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

Question before I give my thoughts.

Lets say A, B and C are your hub sites.

From your questions, I believe you will have only two or three sites connected to per hub, is that correct?

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Yes.

For e.g.:

A is connecting to Spoke 1, 2

B is connecting to Spoke 3, 4, 5

C is connecting to Spoke 6, 7

Most of the Spokes' traffic flow is going to the Hub site, but may be required to do the communication between Spokes on the same Hub or different Hub sites. (1<->2 or 1<->6)

Thanks.

Tony

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

Thanks for clarifying. Here is what I would do.

The ASA can do U-turn traffic now. You might have to go back to the white board and carefully design the scenario.

The good news is - there is MIGHT be a solution. Look at the link given below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00804675ac.shtml

Spoke 1 and Spoke 2 will talk to Hub A.

Lets say spoke 1 Network is 10.10.1.0

Spoke 2 network is 10.10.2.0 and the hub A is 20.20.1.0

This above given document will help you on that.

On Hub A, you need to create another tunnel to Hub B with the network lists of Spoke 1 and Spoke 2 going to spoke 3, 4 and 5.

So, when the packet from Spoke A comes to Hub A, destined for Spoke 3, it should go out to Hub B.

Note - I have not tested this out by myself

Thanks

Gilbert

Rate it, if this helps!

Gilbert,

Thanks your info.

Notice that the enhanced Spoke-to-Spoke can provide the connectivity for non-fully meshed VPN. But it is quite difficult to configure, also the customer don't want to pre-defined all the remote office network on every sites. For eg. If another spoke X will join to Hub B, it is required to change all the remote sites configuraion for interconnection.

Is that possible to use OSPF to provide the connectivity for differnet Spokes connecting to different Hubs? (Feature similar to GRE)

Thanks.

Tony

Any update of this.

Thanks.

Tony

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

Sorry about the delay.

If you want to implement that kind of scenario, then ASA would not be a good choice.

You would need to configure ACL's for the proxies to match.

Have you looked into DMVPN or GET VPN.

Thanks

Gilbert

Rate it, if this helps.

Gilbert,

So what is the best solution in order to use ASA to form the IPsec tunnel to connect different remote offices? Most of the traffic flow will go to the directly connected Hub site from Spoke, only a fewer communication to the other Spokes connected to different Hubs. Is that still need to do the fully mesh VPN?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Tony

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

I was thinking about this and figured the solution would be...

For Hub A, where spoke 1 and spoke 2 are connecting, the internal networks for spoke1, spoke2 and hub A can be set as 10.10.1.x(hub)

10.10.2.x(spoke1) 10.10.3.x (spoke2)

And for hub B, spoke1b, spoke 2b, set the internal networks as 20.20.1.x (hub B) 20.20.2.x (spoke1b), 20.20.3.x (spoke2b)

When spoke1 wants to talk with spoke1b, then you can have tunnel built for 10.10.x.x going to 20.20.x.x from hub A to hub b, which will simply the number of ACL's to be inserted for the encrypting peers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gilbert

Gilbert,

But we still need to define the additional acl for the traffic 10.10.2.x to 20.20.2.x on the tunnel HubA<->spoke1 and HubB<->spoke1b. And also the private IP address assignment is not in hierarchical format.

Any other solution to deploy the easiest operation & management IPsec VPN for ASA?

rgds,

Tony

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

With ASA, thats the best option you have.

Otherwise you can use Routers and implement DMVPN solution.

Cheers

Thanks

Rate it, if it was helpful.

Gilbert,

Thanks for your information.

Regarding the enhanced spoke to spoke configuration. Based on the following URL, it just stated the ACL configure for spoke1 source to spoke2 destination through the Hub A. Is that means the traffic should be initialed from spoke1 to form the VPN tunnel via the Hub? How the Hub to cater the request come from spoke2 to spoke1?

Hub - 10.10.10.x

Spoke1 - 10.20.20.x

Spoke2 - 10.30.30.x

access-list 100 extended permit ip 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 10.30.30.0 255.255.255.0

access-list 100 extended permit ip 10.20.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.30.30.0 255.255.255.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00804675ac.shtml

Thanks.

Tony

Gilbert,

Any update of this. The Hub site will be connected to more Spokes in the future. I need to provide the right approach on how to deploy the VPN solution.

Tony

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

The access-list 100 you have mentioned above, where does it go?

To answer your question, even the spoke 2 can initiate the tunnel to spoke 1. The hub will pass the traffic through to spoke 1.

It should not be a problem.

Rate it, if this helps.

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

The ACL 100 is extracted from the following URL - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00804675ac.shtml

If the traffic initiated from Spoke 2, any ACL on Hub need to cater this. For e.g. - access-list 10x extended permit ip 10.30.30.0 255.255.255.0 10.20.20.0 255.255.255.0.

Thanks.

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: