Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting 2960G-48TC with C2955C-12

Hi,

we'd like to connect a 2960G-48TC with a C2955C-12 using 100Base-FX. According to the data sheets, the C2955C-12 has two fixed 100BASE-FX multimode uplink ports MT-RJ connectors) and the 2960G-48TC has 4 dual-purpose ports that can take SFP 100FX transceivers (LC connectors).

As I understand it, the dual-purpose ports are 10/100/1000, so I presume we need to fix the speed of the port in order for it to work.

Now my question, do we need the GLC-GE-100FX= or the GLC-FE-100FX= transceivers?

Cheers,

Doro

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you can see by the transciever numbers one is gigabit ethernet and the other is fast ethernet , and no if you are using fiber you do not set the ports they only run at a single speed which is determined by the sfp transciever you install .

According to the data sheet, the GLC-GE-100FX= is a Fast Ethernet Interface Converter that only plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet SFP port, but provides full-duplex 100Mbps. The GLC-FE-100FX= is a transceiver module that plugs into a Fast Ethernet SFP port. So both tranceivers provide full-duplex 100Mbps.

My question is whether it makes more sense to run the SFP port on the switch as Gigabit port

and convert from 100Mbps to 1000Mbps on the GE transceiver or run the SFP port as Fast Ethernet port and use the FE transceiver.

Or am I missing the point here?

Ta,

Doro

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card