cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTY Lines

cbohon
Level 1
Level 1

In my router (as with most) I have vty line 0 4 and vty line 5 15. I curious if i can have two different logons configured; i.e. 0 4 for tacacs and 5 15 for local. If so, I do I force a user who I want to login in local to hit the vty 5 15.

2 Replies 2

rdessert
Level 1
Level 1

I believe this is possible. You would need to restrict access for vty 0 4 to a certain network or group of IP's etc., and then restrict access to lines 5 15 with an ACL permitting only the IP's you desire to authenticate locally.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Craig

It is certainly possible to configure vty 0 4 for tacacs and 5 15 for local. But guiding/forcing users to the right one is problematic. In general the router chooses the next available vty when there is an incoming connection, so vty 5 would be used only when 0 4 were busy.

I have read a description of configuring vty 5 15 with a rotary and telnetting with a specified port as a way of choosing the vty port. I have not done this and can not say how well it would work.

so while there is a theoretical way to get it to work, I suspect that the practical answer in reality is that it will not be feasible to do.

[edit: I had another thought that might work. If you configure vty 0 4 with transport input ssh and configure vty 5 15 with transport input telnet. Then you could have one group access with SSH and the other group access with telnet. I believe that this might work for you.]

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card