cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using same network on ethernet

peterhkim
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2800 routers connected over T1. One is HQ and the other is remote. They want to use same IP address scheme in everysite. Is that possble like I'm using routers as layer 2 switch? Do I make any sense? Basically, they want to use 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.0.0/24 on both side. No overlap in IPs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mschooley
Level 1
Level 1

why would you want to do such a thing? If you leave the routers routing, then no you can't do it, well you can, traffic just won't be able to go from hq to remote. You could probably come up with some complicated solution using bvi's. something along the lines creating a bridge group, then assigning the bridge group to the serial interface and the fa interface, then creating a bvi and giving that an ip address. kind of a cludge and not sure that it would work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mschooley
Level 1
Level 1

why would you want to do such a thing? If you leave the routers routing, then no you can't do it, well you can, traffic just won't be able to go from hq to remote. You could probably come up with some complicated solution using bvi's. something along the lines creating a bridge group, then assigning the bridge group to the serial interface and the fa interface, then creating a bvi and giving that an ip address. kind of a cludge and not sure that it would work.

Hi, this is something I need to configure too. The customer has today a unique network with clients and servers. He needs to move servers to a datacenter but for several reasons it is not possible to change neither the IP plan of the servers nor of the clients. The link to the datacenter is extremely fast so it might make sense.

I'm looking at bvi interfaces as you suggested. If I can progress I'll update you. Please let me know if you can manage to solve it.

Thanks

Nicola

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card