cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cat 4510 to 6509

londint
Level 1
Level 1

What should I look out for in connecting a Cat 4510 with Sup V to a Cat 6509 with Sup720?. Thanks

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If there are other switches involved, Spanning Tree and/or routing issues.

HTH and please rate

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addtion to previous post. If you are connecing at layer 2 and your are using vtp in your network you need to make sure you have setup the client/server roles correctly.

Assuming you 6509 is the vtp server you need to make sure the 4510 is in client mode with a lower configuration revision number. If you want to be sure set the 4510 to vtp transparent which will set it's revision number back to 0 and then put it into vtp client mode with the correct vtp domain name. It will then pick up the correct vlans.

Spanning-tree. Usually you would want your 6500's to be spanning-tree root and secondary but without knowing your topology it's difficult to say. You can explicity set the root and secondary and you should otherwise you might find one of your access-layer switches being root for all vlans.

If you're connecting at Layer3 less to worry about. No spanning-tree, no vtp etc. Just make sure you don't create routing loop.

HTH

Jon

No we will be connecting using Trunks and yes it is vtp.

What I am concerned about is spanning tree.

How do I make sure that the Cat4510 does not take over as spanning tree root?

We set the spanning tree root and secondary though but only on the 6509.

Thanks for your help.

Just make sure your vlans priority are higher than what is set on the 6509. Post the results from a 'sh run | inc spanning' from the 6509 and the 4510 and that will show what switch will have the priority of which vlan.

Nice catch on the VTP Jon, I'll give a couple of points for that one!

Hi

If you have explicitly set your 6500's to be root and secondary then you should be fine. Is your 4500 a new bit of kit. If so it will have the default spanning-tree priority of 32768.

You only need to check if it a switch with an existing config on it.

Jon

Its a new one.

These are the show run | i spanning

SwitcA#sh run | i spanning

spanning-tree mode pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree uplinkfast max-update-rate 15

spanning-tree vlan 1-999 priority 8192

SwitchB#sh run | i spanning

spanning-tree mode pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree uplinkfast max-update-rate 15

spanning-tree vlan 1-999 priority 16834

Thanks

Hi

These configs are taken from your 6500 switches yes ?.

If so they are fine and you should have no problems with the 4500. Just make sure when you connect up the 4500 that there are no "spanning-tree vlan x priority x" statements on it.

As i said by default spanning-tree will be 32768 on an unconfigured switch.

HTH

Jon

ahmedchohan
Level 1
Level 1

If you'r particularly asking about conflicting issues or something like that, than no, there's nothing like that. It'll be a normal configuration according to the replies above

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card