Views
Helpful
Replies

No connection between routing and switching part in a 4510

lamin.sonko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have problem to ping GW on my 4510, I have create one vlan for each VRF. when I put in a computer on a port 3/5 with an ip address in correct network, it just time out. I cant ping GW, but if I have many ports on same Vlan they have no problem ping each other. When I sniff i found that I recived L2 traffic like, STP, ARP, VTP but no L3 traffic.

All ports and Vlans are up.

It seems like the routingpart and the switchingpart only talks L2 and not L3.

All this worked yesterday, there was no problem. this morgning 4510 didnt answer at L3, but it still talks L2.

Some info:

Image 12.2(25)EWA7

Redundant SUP V

VRF-lite with BGP, 5 vrf

RSTP, configured 4510 as root, the ports are not in blocking state.

interface GigabitEthernet3/5

switchport access vlan 210

switchport mode access

interface Vlan210

ip vrf forwarding adm

ip address 172.16.1.254 255.255.0.0

On my computer i used 172.16.1.253 /16

This also worked yesterday.

Is there any good command that I can use to see if there is any problem between routingpart and switchingpart.

10 Replies 10

Hi,

Can you paste the config on the 4510?

Cheers

Hello

I add an attachment with the config

thanks!

interface Vlan910

description ***till old admNet***

ip vrf forwarding adm

ip address 172.16.1.254 255.255.0.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/5

description ***VRF adm till old admNet***

switchport access vlan 910

switchport mode access

for ex. if I connect to port 3/5 with an adress of 172.16.1.253 I only se L2 traffic, like arp, vtp stp but no L3.

hi

what does the sh ip route vrf adm look like?

i would suggest removing VLAN 910 from vrf adm and try pinging the gateway.

Thanks

I haven't done vrfs before but I would have thought the interface network 172.16.0.0 would need to be under the vrf in :

router rip

version 2

no auto-summary

!

address-family ipv4 vrf adm

network 172.17.0.0

network 172.31.0.0

*** add network 172.16.0.0 here , perhaps? ***

no auto-summary

version 2

exit-address-family

Otherwise the route will not be in the routing table and therefore not advertised by BGP

hth

I dont think there is any problem with the routing part. I use "no synchronization" in bgp. Everything works for a for some hours and then there is no answer from GW. If I restart the switch i works again. On the network 172.16.0.0/16 there is about 1200 hosts.

Is the same result. I have removed all config, then I created a new vlan, new vlan interface with ip address (not in any vrf), and a port for that Vlan everything is up. if I configure two to ports to the same Vlan the can talk with each other but not with the gateway. there is still no connection between L2 and L3.

When I restart Cisco 4510, the problem disappear and the switch i function for a while, after some hours the problem occurs again.

It might be worth clearing the 4500's ARP table the next time it stops working to see if that makes any difference... also it would be interesting to see if you cleared the CAM table whether that would help & see if your host MAC is actually in the table.

I assume it is only this VLAN that is experiencing the problem?

The problem exist on every Vlan. I removed config and created a new vlan = same problem. i found my mac-adress in 4510.

What about the ARP table? If you clear it while the problem is happening, does it re-fill itself?

What happens if you run a sniff on the client PC and try to ping it from the 4500 (again, while the problem is ongoing)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card