Views
Helpful
Replies

qos bandwidth per ip address

harinirina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we'd like to configure qos on our router.

Some ip addresses need more bandwidth when connecting to internet.

The config's as follow

class-map match-any a

match access-group 120

class-map match-any b

match access-group 121

policy-map ilimit

class a

bandwidth percent 40

class b

bandwidth percent 20

interface Ethernet0

description to internet

service-policy output ilimit

access-list 120 permit ip host 192.168.0.2 any

access-list 121 permit ip host 192.168.0.3 any

The output of a "sh policy-map interface e0" shows 0 packet for class-map a and b.

class-default has 18347 packets, 2736652 bytes.

the "show access-list 120 | 121" don't show any matches.

39 Replies 39

mschooley
Level 1
Level 1

i'm going to guess that yo are natting on this router, and I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say that nat is taking place before the access list is being applied, so perhaps you could apply an inbound policy marking traffic with a dscp value the set the outbound policy to match on that dscp value. Someone smarter than me would have to confirm about the order of nat being applied before outbound policy is matched though.

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

The above technique is called congestion management. From the name you can predict that congestion management policies is applied when congestion happens. Currently you have connected your Ethernet to the internet however do you have an E10 to the internet? If not then the policy won't be effective because it has to wait till congestion happens before it starts policing traffic.

Another thing to note, the QOS usually uses 75% percent of the bandwidth inteface. Therefore, when you mentioned 40% for Class a it means 40% out of the 75% and when you mentioned 20 it means 20% out of the 75%.

The solution to the above is:

Set your interface bandwidth to the same speed of your internet pipe. Therefore, if you internet bandwidth is 2Mbps, go to the interface and issue the command "bandwidth 2000".

As for the QoS reserved bandwidth which is by default 75% you can enlarge it to use the 100% by issuing the command "max-reserved-bandwidth 100".

Let me know if the above helps,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Hi,

yes, we're using nat and the port ethernet0 is connected to the internet.

The main problem is that packets are not classified as intended.They are put in class-default.

We'll try what you've suggered and we'll let you know.

Thank you

We've tried the following config.

class-map match-any a

match access-group 120

class-map match-any b

match access-group 121

policy-map p_in

class a

set ip dscp ef

class b

set ip dscp af41

int f0

to LAN

service-policy input p_in

class-map match-any c

match ip dscp ef

class-map match-any d

match ip dscp af41

policy-map p_out

class c

bandwidth percent 40

class d

bandwidth percent 20

int e0

to the internet

service-policy input p_out

There's no packet on class a, b, c,d.

what's wrong in the config ?

Can you paste your access-lists? Becuase you should match the private IP addresses in your ACLs.

Hi,

here are the acls

access-list 120 permit ip host 192.168.0.2 any

access-list 121 permit ip host 192.168.0.3 any

Hello,

What is the your internet pipe speed? Is it 10 Mbps?

I am asking this question because what you are using is congestion managment. This means the policy won't apply until there is congestion.

Regards,

Hi,

It's 512KB but it's shared for many clients, we only get about 6KB.

When there's no congestion,what should we get when executing "show policy-map interface e0", traffic should be classified as class a or b or should it classified as class-default?

hi again,

now,it shows packets on class a and b.

when you say

>> Currently you have connected your Ethernet to the internet however do you have an E10 to the internet? If not then the policy won't be effective because it has to wait till congestion happens before it starts policing traffic. <<

do you mean i need to put bandwidth 512?

I have also problem on dimensionning bandwidth to affect per class.I put 40% and 20% for testing.

Could you give any suggestion , please ?

That's correct, I mean to put bandwidth 512000 on the interface. In this way, QoS will know that your CIR or bandwidth is 512Kbps and when congestion happens it will police the traffic according to your policy.

As for setting the bandwidth for each class, usually QoS is allowed to use 75% of the bandwidth of the interface leaving the other 25% for other protocols such as CDP, dynamic routing etc... So when you set 40% it means 40% out of the QoS resrved bandwidth.

To override the above issue you can set the command "max-reserved bandwidth 100" under the interface and in this way the QoS will consider using the 100% interface bandwidth which is 512Kbps in your case.

In order to assist you in setting the percentage I need to understand what are you trying to acheive.

Let me know how it goes,

Regards,

Appreciate your rating,

Hi,

The need of bandwidth's as follow, the first listed is the most who need bandwidth:

- voice

- some users works on http.they should have all bandwidth they need.

- The manager should always be able to access internet when they need.they use msn, mail, http.

- some users should be able to send file by ftp.

- all other users use bandwidth not used.

Hi Haddad,

Is there any more information i should give you?

what bandwidth some we attribute per class?

for http, many users use http but only some users should be given priority.

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been so busy. Do you want to guarantee these bandwidth all the time or during congestion only?

Let me know your feedback,

Regards,

Hi,

Could you tell what to do for each case?

For our current configuration, we've tried what happen with qdm.

connexion seems slow but the bit rate graph are the same for pre and post-policy.

Normaly, bandwidth should be guaranted during congestion

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: