cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Killed a PIX-535 when upgrading to V7.22?

derekc
Level 1
Level 1

I got this message now:

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| System BIOS Configuration, (C) 2000 General Software, Inc. |

+---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

| System CPU : Pentium III | Low Memory : 637KB |

| Coprocessor : Enabled | Extended Memory : 1023MB |

| Embedded BIOS Date : 11/28/00 | Serial Ports 1-2 : 03F8 02F8 |

+---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

No bootable device available.

R - REBOOT

S - SETUP

ESC - BIOS DEBUGGER

=================

Before, the normal bootup screen was like this:

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.1) #0: Tue Dec 5 17:35:26 PST 2000

Platform PIX-535

Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300

Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot.

Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.

Reading 115200 bytes of image from flash.

I think it was V6.13 this PIX-535 was with. What did I do wrong? How can this be fixed? Or it is a costly mistake I made?

I booted to monitor mode. Set the int, add, server, file=pix722.bin and tftp. Walked away and came back and this is it.

10 Replies 10

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Did you check if your PIX does support ver 7.2? If yes, then remove the PIX cover, there is a small battery. Remove the battery for few seconds and then insert it.

THis should solve your issue,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Tried but no luck. I tried removing the battery for 10 mins, 2 mins, and permanently. It is the same message.

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry I didn't read the above message correctly. The PIX is saying no boot device.

Did you try to boot in rommon and type

boot flash:

Regards,

Don't think it has ROMMON mode at all. It did have the monitor mode but now it doesn't even give me the 10 sec countdown to break into the monitor mode. Where is the monitor mode code stored? Would it be corrupted? Or whatever that brings up the monitor mode is corrupted?

I meant to reboot in monitor mode and specify to boot from flash.

Regards,

It doesn't give me the monitor mode AT ALL. It boots and straight to:

No bootable device available.

R - REBOOT

S - SETUP

ESC - BIOS DEBUGGER

No count down for me to hit Escape to get into monitor mode. The SETUP option is just like a PC BIOS setup and default setting doesn't work either.

I understand now, may I know what is the process you took for the upgrade? Did you check if your hardware supports ver 7.2? What is yoru PIX model?

Waiting for your feedback,

Regards,

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

The problem is not related to the upgrade. THe issue now is that your PIX is not finding any boot device. It can't find a flash to boot on.

Again, try to open the PIX remove the flash module and try to insert it again. Make sure you dissconnect the pix from power before you perform this action.

Let me know what happens,

Now that you pointed out this is not the upgrade related, I recall it has happened before. It is not the ISA flash card. I just checked and it seated fully into the slot. Problem still exists. What to do now?

I suggest to open a case with Cisco and after the troubleshooting they will order an RMA for you. This is in case you have smartnet contract. If not you have to contact one of the Cisco Partners.

As I mentioned before it is not related to the IOS upgrade because you PIX is not reaching the boot process. It is saying no boot device and this means it is not finding the flash.

Let me know if I can help further,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card