Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Routing Protocal

dsmith
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a very nieve question

I have a router with two outside interfaces to the internet, a cable modem and a dsl modem. The internal network is a very simply small business network with a server and 5 workstations.

Right now i am working with static routing, and when the faster interface goes down, I bring up the slower interface.

Should I be running one of the dynamic routing protocals and if so which one.

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Douglas

The environment that you describe is so simple that I do not see any real benefit in running a dynamic routing protocol. With 1 small LAN and and 2 external interfaces, the only one that comes close to making sense would be BGP. And your situation does not really justify BGP.

So work with static routing. If you want to get sophisticated look into reliable static routing with object tracking.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Douglas

The environment that you describe is so simple that I do not see any real benefit in running a dynamic routing protocol. With 1 small LAN and and 2 external interfaces, the only one that comes close to making sense would be BGP. And your situation does not really justify BGP.

So work with static routing. If you want to get sophisticated look into reliable static routing with object tracking.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Thanks

That makes sense. I'll take a go at reliable static routing with object tracking

Doug

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco