Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie Redundancy Question???

rodwick.nobles
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the scenario:

1. Two Catalyst 4507's configured for redundancy using HSRP and EIGRP for routing.

2. Switch A has the highest priority and is active.

3. Switch B is in standby mode, but Internet connectivity is provided through a 3845 router connected to this switch.

Here's the question:

How do I configure a single 3845 router to provide connectivity to the internet in case Switch B goes offline?

12 Replies 12

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

will you please provide more detail on your connectivity?

it will become more easy to explain...

now one more question is how switch A is connected with 3845?

regards

Devang

There is no physical connection from Switch A to the 3845.

dmetheny1
Level 1
Level 1

Connection from your 3845 to each 4507 with HSRP should do the trick.

Do you have an example?

Thanks for the links, but my configuration consist of only one 3845 and two 4507's.

Your best option would be to connect the 3800 series router to each 4507 and run eigrp.

Default routes will be sent on each switch.

If you want all your internet traffic to go primarily via switchB then use the delay parameter on both the links conencting to switch A

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thanks, I give it a try.

Thanks, I give it a try.

If you want all your internet traffic to go primarily via switchB then use the delay parameter on both the links conencting to switch A

--Please clarify this statement....

Rodwick,

Since your switch A is active HSRP peer, all the LAN traffic hits this switch.

When EIGRP is running between these switches, the default route will be received by both switches with equal metric.

Hence the traffic will go from switch A directly to the router (which is the best way)

By modifying the delay parameter you can force the traffic to go from switch A to switch B and then to the router. (this is not the optimal way though)

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi,

You can connect the 3800 router to both 4500 switch. And just configure floating static routes to configure default routes. Use the layer 3 interfaces of the 4500 switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card