cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP MIB OID for arp cache age

nathlee
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what SNMP MIB OID would contain the age for an ARP entry? For example under IOS, each ARP entry has an age associated with it.

Router>sh ip arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface

Internet 192.168.112.36 17 0800.20ff.ded2 ARPA Vlan112

Internet 192.168.121.44 8 0002.b3d8.0ae9 ARPA Vlan120

Internet 192.168.120.45 8 0006.5bdd.1cbe ARPA Vlan120

Is it possible to obtain that same "Age" value via SNMP?

Thanks,

Nathan

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this value is not available via SNMP. The IP-MIB's ipNetToMedia table will just give you the hardware address, network address, associated inerface, and entry type (e.g. static, dynamic, etc.).

Thanks for the reply.

So, what value does the OID ipAddressCreated (.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.34.1.8) convey? And what platforms/IOS version is it supported? Cisco's docs aren't very clear ("its support depends on the Cat6500 platform and IOS version").

Thanks,

Nathan

In which documentation are you seeing this object? I don't see any version of the Cat 6500 code that supports an IP-MIB that contains this object, or even this branch. This object is newly defined in RFC 4293.

Even if this object is supported, it does not appear to be applicable to ARP entries, but rather to interface addresses.

According to this webpage, Cat6500 running 12.2(18)SXF7 supports Cisco-IETF-IP-MIB.my.

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc6000/wsc6000-supportlist-ios.html

Is the OID ipAddressCreated not part of Cisco-IETF-IP-MIB.my? I've done an snmpwalk on my 6500 running 12.2(18)SXF7, and it just returns a "no such name" error. I'm interested in this object also because it may provide me with age information on IP addresses, although my main focus is the age of ARP entries.

Thanks,

Nathan

ipAddressCreated is not part of the CISCO-IETF-IP-MIB, it is part of the newer IP-MIB which is different.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco