Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP passing through PIX (FWSM)

p.danielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any one tried to configure a PIX firewall to proxy DHCP request through.

I have a Central DHCP Server, and I want to use it for our clients placed on a other network, the only connection between the to networks a trough a PIX firewall.

Illustrated.

DHCP Server <-> MPLS <-> PIX <-> MPLS <-> DHCP Clients

Best Regards

Peter

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello peter,

I'm really not sure if anyone would have even attempted such scenario !!!! DHCP requests are basically broadcasts which work well on a single subnet.. if you have multiple subnets on the LAN, you can obviously use the "helper addresss" to transport it to the other subnets.. But with your case, there is a PIX, WAN etc which will not transport this broadcast !!!

Have a local DHCP server.. you also have a lot of switch/router which supports DHCP.. you can configure any local switch or router as a DHCP server and finish it off !!!

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Hi Raj,

My plan was to use ip-helper on all client interfaces, But ...

So the real question is, has anyone tryed the senario, when Client networks are placed on on side of a PIX Firewall, and servers are placed on anoter side,

There is no servers/clients connected directly on the same subnet as the pix, there for ip-helper would be used on client interfaces, ip-helper will point to the central DHCP Server, only issue ? there is a PIX ind the middel ?

I know is?t posible to use the local DHCP server, om Switchs/Routers, but for this task i need it to be the central DHCP server ..

Best Regards

Peter

Hello Peter,

If you want to pass DHCP requests through a PIX firewall, you need to configure DHCP relay on the PIX... this is the only way you can do it.. you can refer to the following DOC for this:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008075fcfb.shtml

Are there any access-list on the inside of your PIX ?? If so, you might need to allow DHCP Ports (UDP 67, 547/546 UDP) to pass through !!!

You can have a look at all the known port numbers here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Hope this helps.. all the best. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Hi

I am also trying to pass DHCP packets across a PIX, I configured DHCP relay and clients directly connected to the PIX received DHCP addresses but clients the other side of a router are not getting addresses I have allowed 67,68 through the PIX but not 547/546 we are using IP v4. Using Debug on the Router I can see encapuslation errors the client interface has encapsulation 802.1Q with Sub interfaces and a ip helper address but the other interface connected to the PIX does not have 802.1Q encapsulation.

Any Help gratefully received.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card