alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts!

i have to know in which case we used these Command in the whole Switch:

1)stp uplinkfast

2)stp backbone fast

3)the new one R-pvst

4)802.1 w (Cisco proprietery Enhancment)

6 Replies 6

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

STP UPLINKFAST is used when u have two links to u r distribution or core switch.In this case if u r promary links goes down then the traffic will be forwarded from the other link without goiing through normal STP process.in other words it is used to provide redundency when u have a direct link failure with the root switch.

backbone fast is used for providing indirect link failure.

RPVST is the enhancedment for ur RSTP

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmoud!

10xs for ur reply!Mahmoud i Sent you an e-mail;Kindly check it...

Ali

in case we Dont configure these Commands:

1)stp uplinkfast

2)stp backbone fast

what Happened?

10xs

Hi

Its depends upon u r requirement weather to use this options or not.These are the options which you can use to imporove u r network stability.If u dnot configure them it will not cause any problem.

Thanks

Mahmood

If you don't configure uplinkfast, switching over from a root port to another will typically take 30 seconds (worst case is 50 seconds if the failure does not bring down the link) instead of virtually nothing. Without backbonefast, an indirect link failure will take 50 seconds to recover instead of 30 seconds.

Honestly, backbonefast is not really helpful. Uplinkfast is ok, but not really scalable as it relies on sending dummy multicast in order to update the cam table. Honestly, both these feature look so 20th century;-) If you can afford it (ie if you can run the protocol everywhere in the network), I would definitely switch to Rapid-PVST or even MST.

Regards,

Francois

Hi Francois;10xs for ur Reply!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: