cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to get multiple addresses by DHCP?

theclam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is a very long story behind this, but ultimately what I need to achieve is the following:

I have an 831 router sat on a LAN. It receives its eth1 (outside) address by DHCP. I also want to pick up a second DHCP address that can be used for hiding the "inside" hosts behind using NAT.

Is there any way I can get, for example, loopback1 to pick up an IP address from the outside LAN using DHCP?

I have no control over the LAN where this router is sat, so I can't reserve any addresses to use in a static config.

Thanks,

Foeh

1 Reply 1

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

If the IP addresses to be assigned to both interfaces are within the same subnetwork, the router will not be able to assign them to both sides, since each interface needs to be within different networks. If both interfaces are in different networks, you can create two DHCP pools and each one of them will assign IPs to the interfaces. So actually there is no way to tell the router to sometimes get IPs from the primary pool and some other times from the secondary pool.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card