Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic home lab question, FXS/FXO ports

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have (3) C2610 routers and (1) Cat 3550 inline power.

If I get (1) FXO and (1) FXS analog ports, can you confirm whether I should get a PSTN simulator in order to be able to play with POTS, gateways and gatekeepers stuff ?

If I have only (1) FXS and (1) FXO, how far can I go in my home lab tests?

Thanks!

Marlon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can connect in the same router or another router, ideally you would dedicate one router for your PSTN backbone, this router would have the FXS lines and the IPT routers would have FXO lines. But you can also for example interconnect one FXO port on router A to FXS port on router B, and FXS port on router A to FXO port on router B.

HTH, please rate all posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, you can actualy connect the FXS to the FXO port and be able to simulate PSTN this way, all you'll needs is a regular RJ-11 cable to interconnect these to ports, and then confiure them as GWs.

One thing you did not mention though is whether you have NM-1V or NM-2V card to host the VIC-FXO and VIC-FXS cards.

HTH,

Chris

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but you are saying that I could connect in the same router, the FXS and FXO ports - OK.

I guess at that point it would make sense if I get more FXS for FXO ports for my other router, so that I could hook the FXS to an analog phone and play with that? Does that make sense?

My understanding is that I need to buy the NM-2V cards for my routers.

You can connect in the same router or another router, ideally you would dedicate one router for your PSTN backbone, this router would have the FXS lines and the IPT routers would have FXO lines. But you can also for example interconnect one FXO port on router A to FXS port on router B, and FXS port on router A to FXO port on router B.

HTH, please rate all posts!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: