cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink Configuration

verbbbie2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that has (2) T1 PPP circuits coming into his location. He wants to join them together but they don't both belong to the same provider. Will a Multilink interface work in this scenario?

3 Replies 3

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

No, multilink must be configured on both ends. The best you can is to load balance between the separate links.

Please rate helpful posts.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

There was a discussion about a simmilar question a while ago on the forum. I believe that as long as the 2 PPP circuits begin on the same router and terminate on the same router that multilink should work. Someone else made the point that if the circuits were from different providers that there might be differences in delay and that might cause problems for multilink.

While I agree that it is much better if the circuits are from the same provider, I believe that multilink can work over different providers. If anyone in the forum has actually done this and can tell from experience what happened, I would be delighted to know it.

[edit: David makes a good point: I had assumed that the 2 PPP circuits began and ended on the same routers and were provided by different providers. David assumes that the 2 circuits terminate in different routers. If the circuits do not terminate together, then David is quite right that multilink will not work. Perhaps you can clarify what the situation is.]

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

David is correct the far end routers belong to the carriers so in this scenario then multilink will not work. Thanks for the quick response to both of you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card