Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracking of object

udayashankarsg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two circuits one is IPLC and one more is MPLS. I need to do automatic failover on these circuits. So please help me for the configuration using tracking objects.

The details are router A's IPLC ip address is 172.27.3.157 and MPLS's ip address is 10.70.14.134. and router B's IPLC ip address is 172.27.3.158 and MPLS's ip address is 10.70.12.134. I need to configure auto failover from router A to router B. I need to reach 172.27.4.0/24 subnet from router A to router B between two circuits, IPLC will be primary and MPLS as secondary.I'm using static routing to 172.27.4.0/24 on both the circuits.

Please send the configuration with explanation of commands b'cause i'm confused and it's not working. Help me, thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello udaya ,

Is floating static routes not working ?? didnt you try it ? If not you can route the subnet through IPLC and give a higher metric towards MPLS... Let us know..

Raj

Hi Raj,

The problem we are facing is aoutomatic failover should happen. So, i need help on tracking the 172.27.4.0/24 subnet through 2 circuits.

Hello Uday,

Is the 172.27.4.0/24 network been reached from Location A through multiple hops ?? Let us consider the following diag:

Loca A -----------> IPLC -----> B 172.27.4.0

----------> MPLS ------|

Where IPLC is the primary and MPLS being the backup circuits and the 172.27.4.0 network directly terminates on location B... If the IPLC circuit is a non-ethernet circuit (say T1/E1/DS3 etc), you can use floating static route.. If the IPLC goes down, the routing for 172.27.4.0 thro IPLC, is removed from the routing table, and the backup route towards MPLS comes into picture.. If IPLC comes back, then the route is put on the routing table again... You can also do this by running a routing protocol across the network, which can keep a track of the reachability to 172.27.4.0 and dynamically generate the routing table..

If the IPLC link is also ethernet, you cannot use floating static routes, since the ethernet circuit does not go down, if there is a problem on ISP's physical link.. In this case, using a routing protocol is the only option... you can run small instance of ospf or eigrp.. but the only problem i see is to run routing protocol through MPLS, which will require ISP's co-ordination....

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Hello Raj,

My scenario is somewhat like the uday's only .

the network flow is as below.

28XX --E0--> 38XX(ATM Router)--fiber connection-->ISP.

from the same 2800 i have connection to the Same ISP over MW link.

my requirement is that

28XX shuould use fiber as primary and MW secondary.

as it has not connected to ISP directaly and as u said the ethernet between 28XX and 38XX will never goes down, how it will learn up/down status of fiber to make decision for routing.

u earliest suggesion with example will be highly appreciated.

regards,

aryan

Hello aryan,

I think Uday had a point to point L3 link through IPLC and MPLS.. Do you alwo have a point to point L3 circuit over fiber or is it a L2 trunk ?? What is MW ? Microwave or wireless ?? what kind of link is this ? L3 point to point ? Private circuit or shared bandwidth ?

In any case, if it is a private P2P link, you can use routing protocols to track the networks and make sure they are reachable end-to-end, as I have told in the previous post...

Raj

Hi Raj,

first let me thank you for your reply

n yes as u said we are working towards running a dynamic protocol for the solution.

u r right that

MW - microwave , n i hv P2P L3 link only.

regards,

aryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card