Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new LAN segment

Silver_Sys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently I only have 1 Cisco 2600 router, which connects serially to a leased line device, with an Ethernet port that connects to my LAN.

Currently, I would like to add a new LAN segment (different network) to my LAN.

My idea is to get a new Cisco router that has 1 serial interface (connects to the old 2600 router ) and 2 Ethernet interfaces (connects to the old LAN segment and the new LAN segment respectively). However, my old router does not have anymore serial port.

What can I do to solve this? Any input is welcomed

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

whats the idea behind bringing in one more new segment ?

with the current setup itself you can create subinterfaces on the main physical fastethernet and have two segements configured on it .

regds

Hi spremkumar,

The current Cisco 2600 router, which connects to my ISP (leased-line device) serially only have 1 Ethernet port(which connects my LAN).

My plan is to get a new network and then connect the old network with the new one.

Hi

Can you specify your exact router model here ?

if possible do post out show version output so that the compatibility for installation of new modules can be found..

regds

It is a Cisco 2610XM router.

You may not need another Router if all you really need is to add another network segment or subnet.

2 options

1.configure secondary addressing on your fastethernet interface

2.create logical loopback interface on your fastethernet interface.

I will go for option number2

hope this helps

Paul

bparker
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade the IOS to suport VLANS, build subinterafaces it ETH0.1, turn on encaps dot1q trunk, Add IP, build second VLAN, eth0.2 add ip, encaps dot1q trunk, trunk the port on the downstream switch.

heres a site

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1853/Cisco_switch_802_1q_trunk_to_router_on_a_stick

sindhuraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am Rajesh Sindhu.

If your LAN is logically in multiple segments then to solve your situation we can have two sub interfaces on eth port of router. then we have to add both ports in static routes also.

this way we can route traffic in between both LAN segments as well as towards WAN also.

If your second LAN is also on different physical segment then we have to uplink that aggregation nearest to point of interconnection in between router and LAN say on directly connected switch on router.

Please update if i am not correct.

rajeshsindhu2005@yahoo.co.in

Thanks & Regards

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

How about a 2811 with 1 serial and 2 ethernet interfaces. The 2600XM is EOS/EOL

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

What type of switch do you have now?

Does it support VLAN's?

Do you have extra ports on the switch?

Also, if the NM slot in your 2610XM is empty, you should consider the NM-ESW16 switch module.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card