cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity IP Fax

mike85719
Level 1
Level 1

1. Is "Unity IP fax" and "T.37 Store-and-Forward" the same feature?

2. Can these features be made to work with any mail system, for example since my Unity server is voicemail-only can I configure this feature to work with our corporate exchange server (via SMTP), which is not integrated in any way with Unity.

7 Replies 7

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. T.37 is basically a router feature that takes a fax message and sends it via email to a mailbox (or vice versa). The Unity ip fax service is a service on the unity service which on the one hand checks that mailbox and then forwards it to a unity subscriber mailbox; and on the other hand takes a message from that mailbox, renders it into a TIFF file and then sends it to the gateway for delivery to a fax machine.

2. T.37 will work (without unity at all), but the unity ip fax stuff requires mapi and exchange for relaying the messages.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try to get the T37 feature working.

I see that the T37 feature does not work with MGCP. Since my PSTN gateways are controlled by MGCP, will I need completely reconfigure them for H323 first or can a PSTN interface be controlled by MGCP and still use H323 dial peers?

It needs to be H323. Unfortunately it can't be MGCP-controlled and still use H323.

azim.majeed
Level 1
Level 1

Fortunately you can configure H323, along with the MGCP configuration. Besides the H323 that you configure doesn't necessarily be used by the CCM. You will use the H323 soley for the purpose of T.37.

We are using a product from Faxback.com, which can send and receive fax from outlook client, without any intervention from CCM, also we dont have Unity.

Thanks for the input. I'm still a little confused though. The last two replies were "Unfortunately it can't be..." and "Fortunately you can...". Which one is it? Thanks.

A given voice-port can only be MGCP controlled or H323/SIP controlled. So basically if you had a router with multiple PRI's, you might use one for fax (H323) and the other for voice (MGCP, if desired). You can't use MGCP and H323 on the same trunk.

Thanks