cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity design question

mike85719
Level 1
Level 1

It seems that Unity is usually installed one of two ways: 1. integrated with AD and Exchange (UM) or 2. not integrated with AD or Exchange (VM only).

If you only had licenses for VM-only why not integrate with the corporate AD but leave exchange on-box? This would allow you to easily add users to Unity by importing them from AD and it would also be better for the end users because their login to PCA would be coming from AD.

Is this configuration supported?

Why isn?t anyone else doing it?

What pros and cons am I not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

sopayne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

When partnered with Exchange, Unity is *always* integrated with Active Directory. Unity voicemail only or unified messaging can be partnered with Exchange or with Domino.

When partnered with Domino, Unity may use accounts that are imported from an AD domain into Notes.

I hope this clears a few things up.

I understand that Unity is always integrated with AD, but my question is, can a voicemail-only Unity box be integrated with any AD domain or does a voicemail-only Unity system need to be a domain controller?

It seems that voicemail-only configerations are always setup so that AD runs on Unity...I don't understand why you wouldn't just use your existing corparate AD (if one exists alreay).

Thanks

Because technically, if you were to integrate with your existing domain and Exchange, this would not VM only then. It would be UM. Which then you would need to have UM licenses, instead of VMonly license.

I think I understand...but just to clearify, if I integrate with an existing AD but leave Exchange on-box since its VM only, basiclly having two Exchnage servers in AD (one for email and one for Unity, this would be considered UM and would not work. Is that correct?

Thanks for the link and all your replies. I do not have any plans to migrate to UM, integrate with an existing Exchange server and I am not concerned about my licenses.

I simply need to know if the following configuration is supported by Cisco:

Unity 4.2.3, voicemail only, exchange on box, added as a member server to an existing AD domain. The purpose of this is NOT to try to create a UM environment but to make adding unity users easier by importing them from AD. The install guides say to setup AD unity but it shouldn?t matter where AD is running.

If anyone else has set this up please let me know. Thanks.

This is more of a Microsoft AD question.

Unity/Exchange in VMonly is running in it's domain, seperate from your production domain.

Your production domain has Exchange running.

Exchange design rules say (per microsoft) you can only have one Exchange Org per domain. So each of your Exchange Servers will fall in the domain and share the "global Address" book.

Company XYZ Exchange Org

- Exchange Production server xx

- Exchange Unity server yy

What will happen in your Global Address book, you will this scenario listed:

John Doe jdoe@companyxyz.com

John Doe VoiceMail Jdoevmail@companyxyz.com

John Doe will have (2) AD accounts. One for Voicemail and one for email on Production.

If you link Unity subscriber account to John Doe jdoe@companyxyz.com this would need a UM license technically.

If you link Unity subscriber account to John Doe Voicemail jodevmail@companyxyz.com this would be Voicemail only.

Basically, you can do it. You will just have (2) accounts for every production users and Unity subscriber if you are Voicemail only setup in your production domain.

hope this makes sense.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With VM only, you have your own seperate domain for Unity/Exchange/DC controller.

- It does not have to be all on the same box for VM only (or UM)

- In UM, typically the Exchange is off box and is used for email, etc. Unity hooks into this domain and Exchange org.

Check out the Unity/Exchange installation guides online at cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: