cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Survey Help

eddig
Level 1
Level 1

Recently my company has started doing lots of wireless surveys. The survey kit consists of a battery pack several AP's and antennas and what I belive to be a steel speaker stand as the survey pole. Once you have the AP and batttery pack on this thing it must weigh 30Kg which after a whole day of lugging around it too much.

My question is what do other people use for their survey pole, bearing in mind it needs to extend to ceiling height.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (apart from join a gym!)

3 Replies 3

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

The battery pack i used in the past was just doing POE, so i just had a little push cart with everything on it and a decent length of cat6 cable. After each one just putting everything on the cart and pushed it around. =)

sounds fair enough. The battery pack I have also just provides PoE. I was really after a pole to get the AP to ceiling height, so one person can do a survey.

Regards

Currently, I use a painters pole that telescopes from 5 feet to 10 feet. I got some free paint sticks that I fastened to the top to tie wrap my antennas to. I then tie wrap the AP to the pole just at the top of the shortest position so the AP stays put while the antenna sraise up and down.

I fastened the pole to my rubbermaid utility cart with heavy duty velcro strips that would hold a buick against a brick wall. I can easily remove the pole by rotating it off the velcro when i need to get through doorways etc. For added security when I am not standing there so some clown doesn't knock over my stuff I have a velcro starp that cinches tight across the pole and leg of the cart. All Items purchased at home depot - McGyver would be impressed!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card