Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM and IDSM-2 "Best Practices"

ripclawbr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

Anybody knows about a "Best Practices Guide" to deploy FWSM and IDMS-2 on the same Catalys 6500?

Something like , what is the best way to configure FWSM and IDMS-2 to protect the same VLANS?

I?m asking it because I?m configuring a 6513 Catalyst on a costumer with FWSM, IDSM-2 and Guard modules on the same chassis and I?m facing a lot of trouble to find the best way to make all working together.

Regards

1 Reply 1

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi .. I have implemented FWSM and IDSM-2 on the same chassis .. I have not implemented Guard sorry .. but It all depends of your network design ( which VLANS will be using IDS and which ones IPS protection). We also had a CPOC where it was found that there are some minimal issues when traffic traverses VLANs which are IN-LINE mode protected .. some signatures will not fired ocasionally . There were also some software dependencies. In our scenario FWSM is running 2.3(4) and IDMS-2 are running 5.1 .. everything works OK.

I hope I help in any way ..!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card