cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity report db suspect

troark
Level 1
Level 1

What, generally, causes the report db to be "suspect"? Is Unity dependent upon the report db since the suspect state doesn't seem to effect operation.

V. Unity 4.0.5 Exch'03 off-box.

8 Replies 8

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

SQL will mark a database as suspect if it is unable to access the database. You can try to reset the status of the database, but if it comes back as suspect, then the database is corrupt. Do you have a backup of the Report DB? If so, you should be able to restore the backup, otherwise we can try to reset the status of the database.

1) The first thing to do is verify that you have free space on the server. A database can

be marked suspect if SQL cannot complete recovery on a database because there is not

enough free space. If there is adequate space on the hard drive, proceed to the next

step.

2) Open Query Analyzer

3) Connect to the server

4) In the query window, enter the following and execute it:

* Use master

* GO

* sp_resetstatus

5) Exit Query Analyzer

6) Restart the MSSQLSERVER service.

7) Check the status of the database.

I will try that next time.

I do not have a backup copy that I can use.

Is there a proceedure to clean up the db?

What does Unity use the db for?

When Unity runs reports it?s pulling information out of the ReportDB database. The curious observer may ask how information gets from the DATA log files generated by the log manager into the ReportDB database. There?s a process called the ?scavenger? that kicks of every 30 minutes and pulls relevant report data from the DATA files and stuffs them into the ReportDB tables where the reports modules can get at them.

The UnityReport database contains tables for each of the reports you can run in the SA. These are used as scratch pad tables the report engine uses when generating the HTML or CSV outputs requested from the SA. After a report is complete, however, the information in the tables is kept around. This can be useful for folks that may be interested in generating their own reports off the residual data.

HTH

//J

Thanks for the explaination. If I'm not is need of running reports from the SA is there any cause for concern if the report db is suspect? Is failover dependent upon the state of the report db in anyway?

Yes.

Todd

Thank you for the procedure using Query analyzer....

and I am able to use the procedure explained above to get the ReportDB out of suspect mode but the error comes back after a day or so. Is there any reason why this occurs continually? I do have a nightly backup using Legato of this SQL db and can recover. I wonder if I do recover from a copy if that will fix this reoccuring problem.

I'd like to know what exactly does ReportDB do? If it is not critical, I'll turn off replicating it in Legato since it reports errors while in suspect DB.

Can someone help me out and explain the need for reportdb. If it is for reporting only.... I'll disable the copy of that db.

When Unity runs reports it?s pulling information out of the ReportDB database .The curious observer may ask how information gets from the DATA log files generated by the log manager into the ReportDB database. There?s a process called the ?scavenger? that kicks of every 30 minutes and pulls relevant report data from the DATA files and stuffs them into the ReportDB tables where the reports modules can get at them.

For more information refer to AVRepDirSvrSvc of this document

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Documents/UnityArchitectureOverview40(3).doc

There is alreday a request for the same check

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCee44043

As far the reportdb suspect issue there are some known issues/bugs for the same(you might want to check with TAC.)

As mentioned earlier check the space also you can try shrinking database manually using steps given below

On the Unity server, From the SQL Enterprise Manager, Expand the Unity Server node on the

left down to \Management\SQL Server Agent\Jobs.

Note any status for the SqlNightlyBackupJob and SqlWeeklyBackupJob. The most

recent status is listed in the "Last Run Status" column.

If the "Last Run Status" is not Succeeded

Ensure the Unitydb database Properties have "Auto Shrink" unchecked and

the Recovery Mode option set to "Full" on the "Options" tab.

Verify the Reportdb database properties have " Auto Shrink" unchecked and

the Recovery Mode option set to "Simple" on the "Options" tab.

Then after that Run this command.

Open a CMD line and enter the following:

osql -E

1> use Reportdb

2> go

1> backup log Reportdb with no_log

2> go

1> dbcc shrinkdatabase(Reportdb)

2> go

1>exit

Thank you so much.... I'll give it a try and hopefully all will be good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: