cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter

wlboyer
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed version 4.8.02.0010 of the VPN client onto a Dell Latitude D820 laptop. When I attempt to connect, I get this message. There are no firewalls running (I disabled the Windows XP firewall) and I'm running under Service Pack 2 with all of the latest security patches from Microsoft.

I even tried un-installing the client and using an older version (4.8.00.0440) and it reports a similar error in the Log file.

I'd prefer to NOT have to wipe the laptop and reinstall the O/S if I don't have to. This is the only laptop that I've experienced this problem with but it's also the first Dell Latitude D820 that I've attempted to install the client on.

Is there a problem with the Dell Latitudes and the VPN Client? Is there another way around this other than a wipe and re-install?

I've already tried replacing the profiles and still get the same problem.

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

You can do reinstall the VPN Client again in the same PC, But before that do uninstall your old versioon and do restart, install the version again.

Kamal Malhotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is another thing that you can try temporarily.

Goto device manager on the computer and manually enable the virtual adapter and see if it works.

There might be some other adapters / softwares installed that you might have uninstall. Those could be some wireless adapters, personal firewall or internet security package, any other kind of adapter that you installed after installing the VPN cliemt.

HTH,

Kamal

flitewrite
Level 1
Level 1

Had same problem w/ version 5.0.05:

Tried re-install, then ccleaner to cleanup reg, still not resolved.

Worked:

Removed McAfee Security Center

Updated some unrelated ThinkVantage Bluetooth and Communications s/w

Not sure which it was, but VPN now connects.

-Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: