cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange behavior on WIC-2T

lee.carmichael
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WIC-2T in a 2811 that is connected to an external CSU/DSU. The physical interface is up (CONN light is on), but it appears the protocol is down. The strange part is that if i shutdown the interface, then no shutdown to bring it back up, I can ping the interface for about 20 seconds. Then it goes down again and I'm back to square one. Anyone ever experienced this? What am i doing wrong??

Thanks!

Lee C

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Most likely, you are not doing anything wrong.

Line protocol down simply means that the datalink is not active.

When issueing a shut-no-shut the line assumes active state until the loopback test fails which typically lasts for 10-20 sec.

You will observe this behaviour on all interface types.

Make sure that your link becomes active and you will be in business!!

Regards,

Leo

ok, well, before i go on, let me say that i am a complete newbie at this serial stuff. when i first got the two routers i had them back to back on my desk with a smart serial crossover cable. everything worked great. now that they're on the ends of the T1 things aren't so great. i'm connecting to an external csu/dsu. are there configuration parameters that i could ignore on my desk but can't now? i'm confused.

my guess it that it has something to do with clocking. there is no clocking set on the either router. my thought was that the csu/dsu did that but i have a feeling i'm mistaken. can anyone confirm?

out of the topic:

are you using a frame-relay link? because we also experienced that with a 2620 router with a WIC-2T card. The link will go up for how many seconds then the protocol will go down again.

When I debugged frame-relay lmi, it seems that myseen and yourseen field is not incrementing.

We replaced the csu/dsu then it worked. After how many weeks, when we tried to install another frame circuit, the same thing happened. It ended up that we replaced all WIC-2T cards on the router.

Just wanna share cause I also experienced that. Any idea experts?

Is there an issue with WIC-2T cards?

well i finally got mine working. turns out one of my routers was "stuck" sending all 1s. very strange, but nothing a reboot couldn't fix.

however, i did ask around and found that we had a problem with a frame-relay on a wic-2t. it only turned out to be a problem with the carrier, not the equipment.

sorry i can't be of more help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card