cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 = hot swappable blades?

shinedog74
Level 1
Level 1

Can any one tell me if the switchport blades in the 4500 series (or 6500 series for that matter) are hot swappable? I have to add two more WS-X4248-RJ45V blades to an existing 4507 and I'm wondering if I'll need to shut that switch down (after hours) or if I can do that with the switch running (during hours). I see in the documentation where the power supplies are hot-swappable but it doesn't say anything about the blades so I am assuming no. Thanks for any infor provided.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I feel cisco 4500 switches support OIR (Online insertion and removal), so you can add cards to switch while it is running and there is no need to bring it down.

check this URL which tells that cisco 4500 supports high availability which enable hot swappable of line cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_brochure0900aecd803a6c8f.html#HighAvailabilityFeatures

you can check using "show module" command once card is added to check if switch has detected the module or not.

As far as adding the card in cisco 4507R chassis, slot 1 and 2 is reserved for ONLY SUP card and as far as I know you can use slot 3-7 for any line cards.

HTH, rate if it does ....

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

shinedog74
Level 1
Level 1

Oh, one other question I guess I should ask:

The blade bays that are currently empty in this device is modules 2 and 7. Are both of these OK to use for adding blades or is one or all used for any other devices (i.e. the supervisor). According to the software config, module 2 and 7 are not installed.

I feel cisco 4500 switches support OIR (Online insertion and removal), so you can add cards to switch while it is running and there is no need to bring it down.

check this URL which tells that cisco 4500 supports high availability which enable hot swappable of line cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_brochure0900aecd803a6c8f.html#HighAvailabilityFeatures

you can check using "show module" command once card is added to check if switch has detected the module or not.

As far as adding the card in cisco 4507R chassis, slot 1 and 2 is reserved for ONLY SUP card and as far as I know you can use slot 3-7 for any line cards.

HTH, rate if it does ....

Good deal, thanks for the info! Guess I was searching incorrectly :/ I had assumed that 1 and 2 were reserved, thanks for confirming before they bought the second line card :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card