cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3000 and new daylight savings time

jayeshkamdar
Level 1
Level 1

We have bunch of VPN 3000 for remote VPN (IPSEC) in production.

Do I need to worry about new DST starting from March 11; 3 weeks earier than it used to?

Do I need to upgrade my OS on VPN 3000?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jayesh

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jayesh

I have tested the latest release (4.7.2.J) and it appears that it does NOT implement the new dates for daylight savings time. So upgrade OS does not seem to be an answer. You should evaluate the impact of not having quite correct time for several weeks, and if it will have an impact then you may need to plan for manual change at the time when daylight savings moves ahead.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I guess I have to turn off NTP too on my VPN 3000 ? The manual change will have no effect if ntp is enabled because next time ntp will sync the time will be reset to gmt -+ X.

Charles

I had thought of that and agree that simply advancing the time an hour manually will not work with NTP configured. My theory is that if we change the selected time zone by an hour then the time used on the concentrator should be right.

A piece of good news that I heard today is that Cisco is working on new code for the VPN3000 series that will address Daylight Savings Time. They hope to have the code available by the end of February (cuttint it close).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanx for the update Rick.

Are you aware of any major problem having an vpn 3000 offset clock ? Maybe losing live vpn tunnels at 2:00 am 11-03-07?

Charles

I am not aware of any major problems of the VPN3000 changing time. It has been making the adjustment for Daylight Savings Time for quite a while with no problem that I am aware of. Now the issue is not that it would impact sessions but that it would not make the change on the correct date.

I guess that there might be some issues if the VPN3000 did not make the change on the correct date and other devices in the network did make the change, so that the concentrator was out of sync with other devices. Whether that creates a real problem would depend on the particular situation in your own network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Kamal Malhotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jayesh,

Remember me? :-)

Here is the link that might be useful to you :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00807ca437.shtml#bg_info

Regards,

Kamal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: