Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking telco line status

jechoi
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question....

What command do we issue to check the status of telco lines on the router with FXO ports?

To determine if the pstn lines are out of service.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

FXO you will need to hang a butt set on the lines, If loop start you go off hook you should get dial tone. If ground start you will need to place a ground on one side the pair with your butt set off hook you should get dial tone. On the voiceport make sure you are setup with the correct signaling ie:

loopstart groundstart.

Hope this helps

JR

Hi JR,

We are using loopstart.

Just verifying...you mean to say that there is no command to remotely check to see if there is line problem on telco side quickly?

Thanks!

None that I know of for FXO that would check for dialtone.

I see. That is why i can't find any while searching.

I was hoping cisco has some command for this to make life easier. This is one of the comparison made by our customer with avaya pbx.

anyway...thanks.

Yes there are test commands. Try "csim start " to originate a call. Also read the this thread

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddce7c9/0#selected_message

at the bottom some special test command that will let you detect presence of loop current on FXO lines.

My advice in genreral would to not use analog lines, only BRI, that is easy to diagnose, and give the best in terms of speed, quality and features.