Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching from PVST to RSTP impacts?

Hi,

The docs seem unclear about this, so I'd apreciate if someone can confirm:

Does switching from pvst to rstp induce any port flapping on the local switch or temporary topology changes?

I guess in other words:

Will switching from stp to rstp flush the switch currently known (from stp) topology and return uplink ports to blocking until re-convergence?

Would there be any diffrence if neighboring switches are still stp only vs rstp?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello jean

I guess , reconfiguring the spanning tree will disrupt the performance in your network.. You should always do this on a change window... if there are too many switches, it is advisible to do this on a phase to phase basis !!!! since rstp is backward compatible with PVST, you can run both these protocols on your network...

Refer to this guide for migration... This has all the details and step by step procedure with examples:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b0670.shtml#rpvst

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Concur,

We just finished moving 4 core switches and 40+ access switches to RPVST and it went great as long as you do it during a maintenance window where 8-10 minutes of STP shaking can be tolerated.

And after the change we were extremely pleased with the snappiness of RPVST, a very nice upgrade in our case. STP changes shake for about 5 seconds now instead of 50 sec-1.5 mins in PVST+ in our particluar architecture.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: