Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 routers: T1 Router and Cisco Router

andry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks for reading this.

My company has a T1 line that goes into the provider's Netopia router. I'd like to connect that router to our Cisco 1811 router to take advantage of the firewall, DHCP, VLAN, and NAT features. So, this is what I'm trying to do:

Internet -- T1 Router -- Cisco 1811 -- Servers and Workstations

The Netopia router is a T1 router with 1 WAN port and 8 built-in Ethernet ports. The Cisco 1811 has 2 WAN FE ports and 8 Managed Switch ports.

First of all, I'd like to ask if this is even possible to do. If it is, please tell me how to physically connect the routers (what port to what port, and what kind of cable).

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Is your netopia router contains normal ethernet ports or simple switch ports.

regds

It says "8 Ethernet Ports" on the T1 router. It does not say "switch", but the unit does look like a regular broadband cable/dsl router with built-in 4/8-port switch. I'll check the actual model# tomorrow.

Hi,

Please can someone tell me what WANFE port means.

Thanks

paul

WAN - Wide Area Network

FE - FastEthernet

So it is a Fastethernet port that is meant to be connected to the WAN side. It could be connected to a firewall or a metroethernet line.

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

I don't know the Netopia routers but what you want to do should be possible. On the physical level you have to connect one of the Netopia ethernet ports to one of the WAN FE ports, probably using an ethernet cross-over cable.

Now comes the fun part: configuration.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card