Configuring an E1 Connection

Unanswered Question
Feb 8th, 2007

Hi,

I need to configure an E1 connection. What all do i need to configure on the router?

I have a spare controller card E1 4/3 free on the router. Can this E1 link terminate on a Serial 0/0 interface(V.35) on the other end?

Also please let me know what cabling i would be using with any connectors if required.

Appreciate your help in this.

Regards

Navneet

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
navneet_78 Thu, 02/08/2007 - 05:19

Would really appreciate if someone would help me out on this.

Cheers

Navneet

albert.remo Fri, 02/09/2007 - 02:18

Hi!

Is the other router on the remote site? If so, you'll have a provider for the link that would give you an E1 termination on the local site and a serial termination to the remote site. Yes this will be possible yet you will need some CSU/DSU that I believe will be given by the provider.

On your controller E1, just configure a channel group that would include several timeslots.

Router1

controller E1 4/3

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-2

!

interface Serial4/3:1

ip address 12.12.12.1 255.255.255.252

no ip directed-broadcast

Router2

interface Serial4/3:2

ip address 12.12.12.2 255.255.255.252

no ip directed-broadcast

This will create a channel of 128Kbps. The rate of the serial link at the other end should be the same.

Hope this helps, please rate if found helpful

Regards,

Albert

navneet_78 Fri, 02/09/2007 - 23:37

Hi Albert,

Thanx for the reply.

here, when we are cnfiguring a Channel group and specifying the timeslots, is that a Time division Multiplexing or for an Unchannelised E1?

Also, Iam a bit confused about how we configure each serial interface in that slot. I mean how does the numbering of the interface start if i need to configure a single Interface for the controller 4/3. Will that be serial4/3:0??

Appreciate your reply.

Cheers

Navneet

smothuku Sat, 02/10/2007 - 00:09

Hi ,

Router(config-controller)# channel-group channel-group-no timeslots timeslot-list [speed [48|56|64]]

The value of channel-group-no is from 0 through 23 for T1 and from 0 through 30 for E1.

The value of timeslot-list is a single number, numbers separated by commas, or a pair of numbers separated by a hyphen to indicate a range of time slots. The valid range is from 1 through 24 for T1. For E1, the range is from 1 through 31.

The optional speed setting defaults to 56 kbps for T1 and 64 kbps for E1.

Router(config)# interface serial slot/port:channel-group

Enter interface configuration mode for a serial interface that you specify by slot and port. The :channel-group portion of the command is only required for channelized T1 or E1 interfaces; its value is always 0 for Multiflex VWIC support.

Example:

E1 contains 32 channels which supports 2Mbps and if you want to use or allocate 2Mbps bandwidth to a single serial intaerface you need to specify the following command.

controller E1 1/0

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

in the above case you can see only one serial interface and 2Mbps is the max.bandwidth supported by serial interface.

Case2 : if you want to use 30 serial interfaces , each one has 64kbps capacity , you need to specify the following command

controller E1 1/0

channel-group 0 timeslost 1

channel-group 1 timeslot 2

channel-group 29 timeslot 30.

channel-group 30 timeslot 31.

In the above case you can use 30 serial lines for connecting 32 branches.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

navneet_78 Sun, 02/11/2007 - 04:07

Hi Satish,

You really made it sound simple. Thanx for the detailed explanation.

Cheers :))

Navneet

Actions

This Discussion