Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring an E1 Connection

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to configure an E1 connection. What all do i need to configure on the router?

I have a spare controller card E1 4/3 free on the router. Can this E1 link terminate on a Serial 0/0 interface(V.35) on the other end?

Also please let me know what cabling i would be using with any connectors if required.

Appreciate your help in this.

Regards

Navneet

6 Replies 6

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Would really appreciate if someone would help me out on this.

Cheers

Navneet

What model router do you have? What ver IOS is on it? What E1 module model# do you have?

Have you tried looking on Cisco.com for specific E1 configurations for your router, IOS version and module model#?

Bill

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Is the other router on the remote site? If so, you'll have a provider for the link that would give you an E1 termination on the local site and a serial termination to the remote site. Yes this will be possible yet you will need some CSU/DSU that I believe will be given by the provider.

On your controller E1, just configure a channel group that would include several timeslots.

Router1

controller E1 4/3

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-2

!

interface Serial4/3:1

ip address 12.12.12.1 255.255.255.252

no ip directed-broadcast

Router2

interface Serial4/3:2

ip address 12.12.12.2 255.255.255.252

no ip directed-broadcast

This will create a channel of 128Kbps. The rate of the serial link at the other end should be the same.

Hope this helps, please rate if found helpful

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Thanx for the reply.

here, when we are cnfiguring a Channel group and specifying the timeslots, is that a Time division Multiplexing or for an Unchannelised E1?

Also, Iam a bit confused about how we configure each serial interface in that slot. I mean how does the numbering of the interface start if i need to configure a single Interface for the controller 4/3. Will that be serial4/3:0??

Appreciate your reply.

Cheers

Navneet

Hi ,

Router(config-controller)# channel-group channel-group-no timeslots timeslot-list [speed [48|56|64]]

The value of channel-group-no is from 0 through 23 for T1 and from 0 through 30 for E1.

The value of timeslot-list is a single number, numbers separated by commas, or a pair of numbers separated by a hyphen to indicate a range of time slots. The valid range is from 1 through 24 for T1. For E1, the range is from 1 through 31.

The optional speed setting defaults to 56 kbps for T1 and 64 kbps for E1.

Router(config)# interface serial slot/port:channel-group

Enter interface configuration mode for a serial interface that you specify by slot and port. The :channel-group portion of the command is only required for channelized T1 or E1 interfaces; its value is always 0 for Multiflex VWIC support.

Example:

E1 contains 32 channels which supports 2Mbps and if you want to use or allocate 2Mbps bandwidth to a single serial intaerface you need to specify the following command.

controller E1 1/0

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

in the above case you can see only one serial interface and 2Mbps is the max.bandwidth supported by serial interface.

Case2 : if you want to use 30 serial interfaces , each one has 64kbps capacity , you need to specify the following command

controller E1 1/0

channel-group 0 timeslost 1

channel-group 1 timeslot 2

channel-group 29 timeslot 30.

channel-group 30 timeslot 31.

In the above case you can use 30 serial lines for connecting 32 branches.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Hi Satish,

You really made it sound simple. Thanx for the detailed explanation.

Cheers :))

Navneet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card