cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT restoration

jjia
Level 2
Level 2

Want to migrate the existing standalone server to a primary server to support failover.

If required to have sratch re-installation of the existing unity server to support failover, can I use the existing server's DiRT information and restored to the new primary server? Assume the new unity version is the same as the existing one.

Thanks,

JJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

correct - no need to migrate the server to get from stand alone to failover - the config guide referenced in the link on the other thread should get you from A to B on this procedure.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. You setup failover _after_ you've done the restore and have Unity up and running so the fact that you intend to use it in a failover pair shouldn't come into play as far as DiRT is concerned.

so take a backup of your stand alone server, install the same version where you want it (i.e. in another domain or something I'm assuming) and then restore - test and make sure everything is working as you wish and then go through the failover configuration procedures.

Unless I'm not understanding what your question is?

Can you still do a restore to a primary server that is already configured for failover? I currently have a new server built out (in failover configuration) and have found myself in need of doing a DIRT restore from another site- do I need to break failover first before I do a restore or can I work around this? Thanks.

Sorry I did not clearly tell the environment.

The customer has already have one standalone unity server(VM) in production for a time. Right now they want to migrate/setup this server as a primary server for failover. The message store/AD are already off-box.

So from your answer, looks like I don't need re-install the existing unity server to support fail-over. Just make sure to upgrade MSDE to SQL2000 if MSDE installed, and follow the procedures on configuration failover?

Thanks,

JJ

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

correct - no need to migrate the server to get from stand alone to failover - the config guide referenced in the link on the other thread should get you from A to B on this procedure.

Can you still do a restore to a primary server that is already configured for failover? I currently have a new server built out (in failover configuration) and have found myself in need of doing a DIRT restore from another site- do I need to break failover first before I do a restore or can I work around this? Thanks.

Restoring onto a failover pair that's active is not supported - it might work since the entire DB is replaced during the restore, but it's not a scenario that QA tests. They do restores onto stand alone servers and then make them failovers after that - so I'd recommend going that route.

Regarding DiRT backup information I have one question for confirm:

The DiRT restoration information can be based on MSDE2000 directly from a standalone server or have to upgrade SQL2000 on that server first then run DiRT backup for failover restoration to a new server if scratch installation required?

Thanks,

JJ

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MSDE2000 vs. full SQL 2000 does not matter to DIRT on the backup or restore - it's not related to anything DiRT does as it uses standard SQLDMO library calls which are agnostic of the DB engine involved.