cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Global Way to enable Portfast?

gary.hostetler
Level 1
Level 1

I need to enable portfast on about 100 switches in different buildings. What is the fastest way. Even if I could do a whole switch at once.

thanks

6 Replies 6

eofelt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

IOS:

Switch(config)# spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

(All ports that have PortFast enabled also have BPDU guard automatically enabled. )

CatOS:

set spantree portfast bpdu-guard enable

thanks,

Is there any way from Network Assistant? If not I'll use the command line.

Gary

All ports can be configured for portfast on a single switch with the command given in the above post.

To have it on all the switches, use something like the netconfigs on the Cisco works

HTH

Narayan

Sorry Gary,

I have not used Network Assistant.

I pretty sure Cisco Works can do batch type work and a lot more. See if you can Google "Kiwi Cat tools" -a free download for management.

IMO 100 isn't too much, a pain yes but not too many providing you don't have a tight change window etc.

hth, please rate

Erik

Michael Sales
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

on all the switches for exception of the 3500XL series, you can use the "int range" command. for instance:

config t

int range fa0/1 - 24(48)

span portfast

This will enable portfast on all ports 1 through 24 or 48. it's the fastest way.

you can use a script from CiscoWorks or 3rd Party app to make the changes Automated.

I hope this helps

I am ordering the latest CiscoWorks Small Business 1.5.1 version. I will wait until then. I need to get my Ciscos in shape as I need to push out the latest IOS images etc. I have 1.5 but it won't run on a 2003 server and Cisco isn't progressive enough that you can download and use an updater.

Gary

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card