Views
Helpful
Replies

router replacement question

georgecisco01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to replace my existing 2611 with 2811 (the same # of int) and I am finding a way to easily transfer the configuration to the new one. Will tftping works and easiest?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is difficult to anticipate everything but there might be other issues. You'll get a newer ios image with the 2811 and there might be subtle changes. For example, Cisco dropped support for IGRP routing protocol in the latest IOS releases. So:

- Make sure your new IOS image has the same features (or beter) as your current image.

- Check the feature navigator at:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

and make sure all the features you need are in the new image.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, tftp your 2611 config from the router to the server and then tftp it to the 2811. You can also capture the output of "sh start" to file from your terminal program and paste later into the new router.

You will have to edit the file a bit of course. For example, the 2611 has ethernet ports while the 2811 has Fast ethernet ports (e0 vs. fa0).

Hi,

thanks for a great response.

Is there anything that I should be aware of aside from fa0? I am just making sure that I will not miss any little thing that will make

this difficult.

Thanks,

It is difficult to anticipate everything but there might be other issues. You'll get a newer ios image with the 2811 and there might be subtle changes. For example, Cisco dropped support for IGRP routing protocol in the latest IOS releases. So:

- Make sure your new IOS image has the same features (or beter) as your current image.

- Check the feature navigator at:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

and make sure all the features you need are in the new image.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card