cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS-7815I 2.0 - Memory upgrade, won't boot

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

I want to upgrade memory on an old MCS-7815 server to run CCM 4.1.3 as a lab server. The server has a 2.0 GHz processor and 512Mb RAM. When I add an additional 512 DIMM, it won't boot. I hear a series of 3 beeps, 3 times in a row when I turn on the power, and it won't even get to the BIOS screen.

Both memory cards are good, I can boot with either one. I can also boot with memory in either the DIMM-1 or DIMM-2 slot, so I don't think it's a motherboard failure.

I looked up the 3x3 beep code on IBM's manual for the x205 server, it says I need to do a "3 boot reset", but it doesn't explain what a 3 boot reset is. I have gone into BIOS setup and reset memory, and tried rebooting in several different combinations.

Has anyone ever run into this? This server is supposed to support up to 2 Gb of RAM in a 2x1Gb combo, so I would expect it to support 2x512Mb.

Thanks, Randy

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

You need to do a BIOS upgrade before you add more memory.

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

another issue could be both the momory cards are not compatible. Can u try 2*512 GB or 2*1 GB of the same model/part #

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: