Replies

pix 520 licensing question

I just bought a pix 520 from ebay my sh ver is

Licensed Options:

Failover: Enabled

IPSec: Enabled

Ports allowed: 6

I can't figure out what type of license it has

I know the pix what used in a failover enviroment.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

vitripat
Level 7
Level 7

This doesnt look like complete output from "show version" command. Do you see any line at the end sayin "This PIX has a XXXXX license." ? If not, you might be running on a old code. Though with this option "Failover: Enabled", it could either be UR/FO.

this is the complete output of sh ver:

PIX Version 4.4(1)

Compiled on Tue 18-May-99 16:34 by pixbuild

Finesse Bios V3.3

pixfirewall up 11 secs

Hardware: SE440BX2, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 349 MHz

Flash atmel @ base 0x300

0: ethernet0: address is 0090.272e.729c, irq 11

1: ethernet1: address is 0090.272d.8fc0, irq 10

Licensed Options:

Failover: Enabled

IPSec: Enabled

Ports allowed: 6

Serial Number: 18015518

Thanks

As I thought, your PIX is currently running a version which is no longer supported by Cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8056d289.html

Looking at the output, its difficult to comment if its a UR or FO-Only license. The bad news is that you cant upgrade this firewall to new versions also, till you dont upgrade your flash as well.

The current flash you have "Flash atmel" is only 2 MB in size, and 6.x code requires minimum 8 MB flash.

If i upgrade the flash can i do anything with it if its a failover license only?

How can I upgrade my license?

Absolutely. You can order PIX-FLASH-16MB=, which is the ideal replacement for your current flash. Therafter, you can also get the license installed on this device as required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: