Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 Restart Itself Every 24 Hours

support_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Does anybody experience that case of my ASA5510 (7.2(1)24) reload itself every 24 hours?

Thanks!!

BR,

Jeff

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeff

Check what type of license you have on your ASA device. If it is a failover license then you cannot run this on it's own, it needs to be either in a pair with another ASA which has an Unrestricted license or you will need to upgrade you existing license.

I haven't use the ASA failover but with the pix if you used a pix on its own with a failover license it would reboot every 24 hours.

HTH

Jon

Hi, Jeff;

Jon is right, I believe. The behavior you are seeing suggests that you are operating an ASA which has an FO license. By firmware, they are designed to reboot every 24th hours so as to "inform" the administrator that their Active/Standby PIX relationship is now relying on the failover (and not the active) unit.

Specifically, you will want to run:

"Show Fail" and "Show Ver"

You are looking for any reference to your unit being a Failover unit, or having an FO license.

Now, I may be off on one critical aspect... I said this all in context of the ASA series of firewalls. It has been suggested to me in a response to another post in this forum (a response to me!!) that the ASA's haven't the same type of "relationship" (i.e., active/standby) as I am used to existing in PIX 525's/535's.

Good Luck.

Josh

I dont think thre are any failover licenses in ASA.. ASA boxes come with full UR licenses and both the boxes (active/passive) will have a UR license, which means either of the ASA can act as a primary unit as a standalone box !!! This is exactly opposite, as the way PIX works, which basically has the UR/failover license concepts !!! this might be due to some other reason... can u post us any log messages from the server ?? did it give any error on booting/console etc ??

Raj

Hi,

As mentioned by Raj, the licencing are different on PIX & ASA.

Please check the belwo link to know more about ASA & PIX licnecing.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_7_2/conf_gd/ref/specs.htm

Btw, are you doing any failover at all?

Thanks,

gagan

Leo Gal
Level 1
Level 1

FYI, Ive got Pix running

7.2(2) , only secondary unit up with primary shutdown and

This platform has a Failover Only-Active/Standby (FO) license.

Every 24hrs it goes down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: