Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP on WAN

alfonzofernando
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I have a time server at the head office(running NTP client-server mode) and I have to synchronize the time on all PCs on remote locations connected to head office over E1 links.

Do I need to configure 2800 routers to forward NTP packets?

Or NTP packets will be forwarded just like others, no need for additional configuration?

thank you for all help

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

alfonzo

There are some aspects of your question that are not clear to me. Is the time server at the head office a router at the head office or is it some other device? I am not clear what you mean when you say that the NTP server is running in client-server mode. I am not clear whether the 2800 routers are the head office routers, the remote office routers, or both. Perhaps you can clarify some of this.

Knowing some of these details might change how I would answer. But the general answer is that if the clients are properly set up to send NTP requests to the server, then there is no configuration required to have the routers forward the NTP packets. NTP packets are regular IP packets and the routers should forward them normally.

If there is some aspect to your question that I have not understood adequately then perhaps you can help me understand it better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi rick, thanks for replying.

-

-time server at the head office is an independent server dedicated to time synchronization of computers within the network. it has an ethernet port for network connection.

- client-server mode; PCs are clients and requiest time data, above mentioned server provides time whenever gets a request from a PC.

hope this clarifies

alfonzo

That does clarify several aspects. And it helps confirm my original answer. In what you have described the client sends an NTP request, which is a normal IP packet and it will be routed by normal methods with no special configuration. And the NTP server will send a response which is a normal IP packet and it will be routed by normal methods with no special configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card