cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting routers back to back.

gsheppar1414
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2612 and a cisco 2514. I was wondering if I would be able to connect these routers back to back through the cisco 2612 ethernet port and the cisco 2514 AUI1 (Ethernet port with a tranciever)?

If this is possible do I need a cross over or a straight through cable?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Good Day!

Yes, you can connect both routers using cross ethernet cable. Just make sure that all paramaters are properly set such as speed and duplex. As for the configuration, you can either use a point-to-point address to connect both or create a dot1q link and/or create sub-interfaces.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Good Day!

Yes, you can connect both routers using cross ethernet cable. Just make sure that all paramaters are properly set such as speed and duplex. As for the configuration, you can either use a point-to-point address to connect both or create a dot1q link and/or create sub-interfaces.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

hi Albert I know I can connect router using cross cable on ETHERNET PORTS.

what I need to know is: can I do it on E1 ports as well??

Hi!

I have tried it before and yes you can connect them using cross E1 cables. Using 4 pairs UTP, I crossed pins 12 to 45.

Regards,

Albert

What do you mean by E1? Telco 2 mb lines?

If so, You might have an E1 card in your 2612 router but the 2514 is fixed config. You have only 2x serial ports and 2x ethernet ports.

If you mean serial ports then yes you can use a special serial cable to connect 2 routers back-to-back. You need a serial WIC in the 2612 for that.

Ok, Alfonzo. Now I ubderstand.

I just came across your post in the other forum.

babbim
Level 1
Level 1

Cross-over should work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: