cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate IP Address on Cat6509 MSFC

DaturaX88
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have faced this log message of duplicate IP address before?

Here is the network topology

C6509CS01 --------------- C6509CS02

---------------

This problem occured for 5 min and brought the customer vlan 1 network. Note that the

C6509CS01

Feb 8 08:08:32: %STANDBY-3-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 10.1.1.253 on Vlan1, sourced by 0000.0c07.ac09

VLAN 1 MAC address on C6509CS01

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Cat6k RP Virtual Ethernet, address is 0009.b63e.cffc (bia 0009.b63

C6509CS02

*Feb 9 01:29:49: %STANDBY-3-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 10.1.1.252 on Vlan1, sourced by 0009.b63e.bffc

VLAN 1 MAC address on C6509CS02

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Cat6k RP Virtual Ethernet, address is 0009.b63e.bffc (bia 0009.b63e.bffc)

Internet address is 10.1.1.252/24

I am suspecting this is a spanning tree loop and causes the switch to see a duplicate IP address. But logically, there is no loop between the 2 6509 unless the port-channel connecting the 2 switches fail and in turns there is a loop. But in this cases, STP should kick in.

Anyone have any solution?

7 Replies 7

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

What version of IOS? There are some nasty Etherchannel bugs in 12.2(17)SX and earlier code where the switch reflects packets back to itself.

-Brad

The switches are running in hybrid mode.

Here are the IOS versions

CatOS: 7.1(2)

MSFC: 12.1(11b)E

redboynono
Level 1
Level 1

check your HSRP configuration.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I've heard of this happening when multiple non-Cisco Wireless Access Points (Symbol specifically) were connected to 6500s and they didnt hand off a roaming client fast enough / properly ... so the switch would see the same MAC on two diffeent ports at the same time.

I think it also may show up as port flapping.

Other than that, I haven't seen / heard of it.

Good Luck

Scott

owaisberg
Level 1
Level 1

That is HSRP configuration issue. Make sure

your HSRP group numbers on both routers match.

HTH,

Oleg

d_monaghan
Level 1
Level 1

As said above check your etherchannel configurations. I had a similar problem when upgrading from hybrid to Native on two 6509s.

I had set one side to 'on' and the other to 'desirable' and I got the same error messages, and it brought everything down. Once we changed both sides to 'on' everything was fine. I don't think it is an HSRP problem, it is an STP problem as you say, it is seeing its own hsrp multicasts many times over.

lisong
Level 1
Level 1

There is a loop caused by bad etherchannel.

Unplug the cable of etherchannel, clear configurations related with etherchannel,and config again.Be carefule the mode of channel shuld be desired non-silent, it will scalible.

Thanks

Li song

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card