Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1230 or 1240 approved by FDA

I want to install APs into a clinic and I would like to know if the 1230 AG and 1240 AG are approved by FDA in order to be used in medical places. I couldn't find anywhere such info.

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Agelos,

Cisco Wireless AP's are compliant with the current "World-wide" standards for operation in Medical settings. Have a look;

Medical EMC Standards

The Electromagnetic community (EMC) recently adopted a harmonized standard for equipment operating in medical environments. The requirements must meet the emission and immunity requirements of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 601-1.2. Cisco WLAN radios are evaluated to this standard as part of their system qualifications.

Please note that compliance with IEC 601-1-2 does not mean that the transmitter will not interfere with any medical device, but that the device's digital emissions are compliant with the industry limits and the device's digital portion has sufficient protection from interference from other electronic devices.

Though newer medical systems deployed in hospitals are designed and tested to the latest standard, it is possible that older systems that have not been evaluated to this standard have been deployed as well. Hence the need for working closely with the biomedical engineering department and technical staff to get all information on installed equipment and their levels of radio frequency immunity.

To date, there have been no reported cases of EMC interference to medical devices from Cisco wireless LAN equipment deployed in hospitals.

From this doc;

Wireless LAN Equipment in Medical Settings

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_white_paper09186a008011a606.shtml

IMPACT ON MEDICAL DEVICES

Another concern about cellular telephones has been their potential impact on medical devices. Many hospitals ban such phones from emergency rooms or other sensitive areas. Again, this has led some to question whether wireless networking devices can be used in proximity to medical equipment.

To address these concerns, Cisco wireless networking devices are specifically designed to reduce emissions that could interfere with medical devices. Cisco radio module products meet both the FCC and European Commission emission levels required for devices operating in a medical environment, specifically the EN 55011 emission standards.

From this doc;

Wireless Systems and RF Safety Issues

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080088791.shtml

Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series

Case Studies (Check out the Healthcare Section)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/prod_case_studies_list.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your info. This is very helpful. I hope it will be ok for the customer as well.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card